Applications are due January 15, 2013, and awards will be announced in May 2013.
The foundation only accepts proposals from doctoral students and postdoctoral scholars (those who received their degree within ten years of the application deadline) outside the United States. Download the applications.
Grant funding is available for:
- Short-term travel that gives scholars an opportunity to discover new source material;
- Experiencing works of art firsthand in museums and private collections;
- Making contact with artists, curators, and art dealers;
- Consulting local archives and library collections; and
- Establishing professional networks for future research.
Awarded grants and distribution of funds
Six to nine grants are awarded annually: up to $6,000 per grant for doctoral students and up to $9,000 per grant for postdoctoral scholars. Grant funds will be disbursed in two installments. The first installment (80% of the total grant) will be paid before the recipient’s departure to the United States. The second installment (up to 20% of the total grant) will be paid to the recipient after receipt of the required final report. Travel should occur within one calendar year after the announcement of the selection results. The final report must be submitted within three months of completion of travel. The report should include a description of the travel undertaken as a result of the grant, an assessment of the research accomplished, and a financial report detailing grant expenditures. The recipients must acknowledge the support of TFAA in any publication that results from the research conducted during the grant.