Submissions are due January 15, 2014, and awards will be announced in May 2014.
Applicants are highly encouraged to contact TFAA (email@example.com) in advance of the deadline to confirm eligibility and discuss the project.
Grant funding is available for scholarly books and articles in print or digital formats that focus on historical American art (circa 1500 to 1980) and have an international dimension. These include:
- Projects involving a United States 501(c)(3) publisher or the international equivalent. The Terra Foundation only accepts proposals from the publisher.* Download the application for projects involving a United States 501(c)(3) or the international equivalent.
- Non-U.S. based projects without a United States 501(c)(3) publisher or the international equivalent. The author or editor of the volume may apply.** Download the application for non-U.S. based projects without a United States 501(c)(3) publisher or the international equivalent.
Projects must be under contract for publication. The Terra Foundation strongly encourages proposals for:
- Books/articles examining American art in an international context,
- Books/articles for publication outside the United States,
- Internationally collaborative projects,
- English-language translations of books/articles originally written or published in another language, or
- Translations of books/articles originally written or published in English.
Awarded grants and distribution of funds
- Books may receive a grant up to $30,000 (though generally grants do not exceed $15,000). Articles may receive a grant up to $3,000.
- TFAA preference is to contribute toward the image rights and translation costs for a publication, though other production costs may be requested.
- TFAA funding will not cover the entire budget for a publication.
- Awarded grants will be announced annually each spring; monies will be disbursed when the project is in a closing stage of production (final galley proofs or the equivalent).
* Please confirm the status of the publisher before beginning the application process; questions can be directed to the grants manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
** Grant procedures are pending IRS approval and are subject to change.