On March 4, Hans Haacke unveils Gift Horse (2013) on the Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square. Consisting of a bronze sculpture depicting the skeleton of a horse (derived from an engraving by George Stubbs) with an electronic ticker tape tied to its foreleg like a bow on a gift, Gift Horse displays a live feed of the London Stock Exchange.
Born in Germany but based in New York since the 1960s, Haacke is one of the most influential artists working today. The unveiling of Gift Horse serves as the inspiration for a day-long symposium on Haacke’s practice, considering the Fourth Plinth commission in light of his entire artistic career.
- Hans Haacke
- Jon Bird, professor, Middlesex University
- Dana Arnold, professor, Middlesex University
- Sven Lütticken, art critic and lecturer, VU University Amsterdam
- Luke Skrebowski, lecturer, University of Cambridge
- Rachel Churner, PhD candidate, Columbia University
For more information, please visit: