Robert Smithson: Time Crystals is the first exhibition in Australia dedicated to the artist. Best known for his radical land art of the 1960s and early 1970s, Smithson is now widely recognized as one of the most influential artists of the twentieth century. Inspired by ideas of crystalline geometry and non-biological time, he redefined abstraction and challenged art history.
Featuring new research on the artist’s practice, Time Crystals presents sculpture, photography, film, drawings, and texts borrowed from major Australian and international collections. It also includes the most extensive display of Smithson’s manuscript and archival material to date drawn from the Robert Smithson and Nancy Holt Papers at the Smithsonian Institution’s Archives of American Art.
From the collection of the Terra Foundation for American Art, George Caleb Bingham’s, The Jolly Flatboatmen is exhibited in Picturing Mississippi, 1817-2017: Land of Plenty, Pain, Promise. This exhibition is on view at the Mississippi Museum of Art, December 9, 2017 – July 8, 2018.
From the collection of the Terra Foundation for American Art, Mary Cassatt’s Summertime and Jenny and her Sleepy Child are exhibited in Mary Cassatt: An American Impressionist in Paris. This exhibition is jointly developed by US curator Dr. Nancy Mowll Mathews, Eugénie Prendergast Senior Curator and Lecturer, Emerita from Williams College, in Williamstown, Massachusetts, and in France, by Pierre Curie, director of the Revue de l’Art, chief curator of heritage, and curator of the Musée Jacquemart-André.
Three works from the Terra Foundation for American Art are on loan for two years to the Ashmolean Museum of Art & Archaeology at the University of Oxford. Exhibited in the permanent collection galleries are Charles Courtney Curran’s, In the Luxembourg (Garden), 1889, Childe Hassam’s, French Peasant Girl, 1883, and Maurice Prendergast’s, The Luxembourg Garden, Paris, 1890-94. These works by American artists are on loan in conjunction with a visiting professorship at the University of Oxford.