For this program, the Terra Foundation accepts proposals only from institutions with United States 501(c)(3) status or its international equivalent. Only the exhibition organizer(s) may apply for support; if co-organizing a temporary exhibition with a partner museum, the co-organizers must apply jointly. Grants are not made to individuals.
Through its Exhibitions program, the Terra Foundation is pleased to provide support for organizations to plan and present temporary exhibitions comprised primarily of loans. Grants may be used for costs associated with planning, research, interpretation, artist fees (except for commissions), shipping, crating, couriers, insurance, object loan fees, construction of temporary gallery walls, conservation/framing, programs, marketing, and dissemination of research, whether virtual or print. We are also happy to support related staff positions (up to 25% of the award amount) and indirect costs (up to 15% of the award amount).
Currently, the Exhibitions grant program at the Terra Foundation does not accept proposals for:
- the creation or acquisition of existing or commissioned artwork.
- acquisitions or capital expenditures or permanent equipment (including technology, construction other than temporary gallery walls, contracted exhibition or architectural design, exhibition furniture/vitrines, etc.).
- exhibitions that are exclusively online
- exhibitions previously opened that are touring to new venues
- exhibitions previously declined by the Terra Foundation
Given the competitive nature of this yearly grant program and our efforts to encourage more equitable grantmaking, we do not accept applications for this program from the same institution two years in a row.
For example, if you were awarded an Exhibitions grant in 2023, you are next eligible to apply for an Exhibitions grant to be awarded in 2025.
Please note, there is one exception: if you received a grant for planning only through this program, you may apply for an implementation grant for the same project the following year or after.