This research travel grant program offers US-based scholars working on American art and visual culture prior to 1980 the opportunity to conduct research abroad. Grant funding is available for projects that require study of materials outside the United States and that will enable scholars to:
- Discover new primary source material;
- Experience works of art first-hand in museums and private collections;
- Make contact with artists, critics, art dealers, archivists, curators, and university scholars;
- Consult archives and library collections outside the US; and
- Establish professional networks for future research.
Proposals are accepted from US-based doctoral students, postdoctoral scholars, and senior scholars.
The grant program is administered by College Art Association (CAA), on behalf of the Terra Foundation for American Art. For more information about application guidelines and the application process, schedule, and checklist, please visit the CAA website: https://www.collegeart.org/programs/travel-grants/terra-research