February 7, 2015
Chicago Cultural Center
Exploring the Imagists’ legacy and the role of comics and humor in twentieth-century art, from the Imagists’ era through the present day, this program features panel participants:
- Karl Wirsum; Hairy Who Artist;
- Chris Ware, Contemporary Graphic Novelist;
- Dan Nadel, Publisher, Author, Curator, and Artist; and
- Robert Cozzolino, Panel Moderator and Senior Curator and Curator of Modern Art, Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts.
The panel followed a screening of the documentary film Hairy Who & The Chicago Imagists and was the second in a series of three free screenings and discussions, which also included:
- “Hairy Who in Hyde Park” at Reva & David Logan Center for the Arts, and
- “Gender Equality in the Visual Arts” at Gallery 400.
Organized by Pentimenti Productions with the University of Chicago’s Film Studies Center, the Smart Museum of Art, and the Hyde Park Art Center (HPAC), this program was developed in conjunction with the yearlong celebrations for the Smart Museum’s 30th anniversary and HPAC’s 75th anniversary.