Communications Associate (Chicago)
The Terra Foundation for American Art is searching for a professional to provide communications and administrative support to program staff in both the Chicago and Paris offices. The Communications Associate will contribute to foundation-wide communications, writing and editing content and coordinating storytelling efforts.
The Terra Foundation for American Art is engaged in transformative work to expand narratives of American art and contribute to critical re-examinations of American art history. Recognizing current and historical inequities in presentations and understandings of American art, we are committed to helping redress these imbalances and exclusions through our programs and grantmaking.
Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
The Terra Foundation for American Art is committed to increasing diversity, equity, inclusion, and access across all aspects of its work, including workplace culture, programs and grantmaking, and community and institutional partnerships. We seek to transform and complicate how the story of American art is told—through the histories represented, diversity of artists featured, interpretive perspectives included, methods of collaboration used, audiences engaged, and intercultural dialogues convened. We encourage applications from candidates who may contribute varied perspectives to the foundation and help advance its mission.
Who should apply? You should apply if you:
- Have a B.A. or B.S. or commensurate experience in communications or related fields
- Can perform detail-oriented work independently, with supervision, and as part of a team
- Demonstrate strong written and verbal English skills with experience writing and editing content at a high level
- Have demonstrated experience with a variety of social media platforms and email and content management systems, as well as experience with platforms for data analysis, presentation, and design (Adobe Creative Suite preferred)
- Have experience or requisite skill to track and analyze metrics to gain insights and inform strategy
- Have strong time-management skills and the ability to complete all activities accurately and on grant cycle and fiscal year timelines
- Are comfortable with quickly changing priorities
- Are Chicago-based or willing to relocate to the Chicago area
- Are interested in working at a foundation that is continuing to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion, and interested in contributing to these efforts
What will the Communications Associate do?
The Communications Associate will work closely with the Chicago-based Director of Communications, the grants management team, and the program teams. Responsibilities include:
- Coordinate with staff to initiate and implement grant program communications plans
- Coordinate storytelling initiatives to showcase projects and programs, working with internal and external stakeholders to write and edit content
- Maintain editorial content and project calendars for all foundation-supported grants and initiatives that guide foundation-wide communications strategy
- Execute day-to-day email marketing and social media plans, working with staff and external stakeholders to source and draft content, research trends and best practices, and deliver recommendations for implementation
- Perform regular audits of communications efforts and platforms to establish goals and modify strategy, and assist in developing annual communications plans and communications reports
- Track and organize all digital assets and coordinate rights and reproduction for internal and external assets for foundation communications
- Track press mentions about the foundation and its programs and maintain press contact database
- Provide support in analyzing data, identifying trends, and compiling key data points as inputs to internal and external communications strategies
- Update website and assist in coordinating content for website updates
- Other duties as assigned, including participating in internal discussions and meetings
What is the term, time commitment, and compensation?
- The position will be full-time (35 hours per week) with a salary range of $52,000 to $58,000, plus benefits (health care, dental and vision coverage, 403 (b) savings plan, sick paid time off, and more). The Terra Foundation is currently operating on a hybrid in-office/remote work model.
Submit resume/CV and letter of interest to [email protected].
Deadline to apply: December 9, 2022.
About the Terra Foundation for American Art
The Terra Foundation for American Art, established in 1978 and having offices in Chicago and Paris, supports organizations and individuals locally and globally with the aim of fostering intercultural dialogues and encouraging transformative practices that expand narratives of American art, through the foundation’s grant program, collection, and initiatives.