Manager of Communications
The Terra Foundation for American Art actively supports and initiates historical American art exhibitions, scholarship, and programs in Chicago, the United States, and around the world. We accomplish our mission through a worldwide grant program of approximately $10 million annually, international partnerships and initiatives, the dynamic use of our collection of American art, and the activities of our staff in Chicago and Paris.
The Foundation seeks a Manager of Communications to develop and implement a global communications strategy that will advance the Foundation’s identity and broaden awareness of its programs and impact. The Manager of Communications, based in Chicago, will create, oversee, implement, and continually improve upon an integrated foundation-wide communications plan supporting both offices, and programs foundation-wide.
- Developing, implementing, and managing a comprehensive communications strategy that engages target audiences in the Foundation’s initiatives and programs.
- Developing all communications materials including website, social media, print publications, special reports, internal communications, and more, working hand-in-hand with program directors and other staff in Chicago and Paris to communicate the Foundation’s mission and work.
- Managing consultants and strategies for public relations, design, and web-related projects.
- Overseeing, managing the maintenance of, and evaluating the Foundation’s on-line presence, including a planned website audit and refresh.
- Originating talking points, presentations, and other messaging materials for the President and Executive Vice President.
- Collaborating with program staff to offer and elicit innovative ideas for communicating the Foundation’s work and impact.
- Developing and managing communications budget.
Qualifications and Requirements
This 30-hour per week position reports to the Executive Vice President. A bachelor’s degree in communications or a related discipline and 5–7 years of experience in related work required. Experience working with arts organizations, museums, or academic institutions or clients preferred. Proven writing skills required, including writing for both arts audiences and general public. The successful candidate would demonstrate:
- Substantial experience and success in strategic communications planning, messaging, branding, media relations, social media, and website management in a mission-driven environment.
- Conceptual, analytical, and critical thinking skills and ability to absorb the broader meaning and context of the Foundation’s work in relation to its mission and programming.
- Flexibility to be both a team player and a self-starter, comfortable in executing a program from A to Z.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, the mission of the Foundation.
- A healthy sense of humor and a trustworthy, receptive, and flexible demeanor.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Send resume, cover letter, and salary history to [email protected]. EOE. Applications should be submitted by February 15, 2019.
The Terra Foundation for American Art is an equal employment opportunity employer.