Terra Foundation Immersion Semesters Student Fellowships complement the wide range of teaching programs previously developed between the foundation and four European universities:
- The Courtauld Institute of Art, in London;
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin;
- Université Paris-Diderot; and
- Université Paris Nanterre.
For more than ten years, these universities have partnered with the Terra Foundation on research travel grants to the United States, visiting professorships and postdoctoral teaching fellowships, and the organization of study days and symposia. The immersion semester fellowship program builds on these collaborations by encouraging promising European students to further their commitment to American art history at the beginning of their careers.
The fellowship enables a European graduate student affiliated with one of these four universities to attend a semester at a US university recognized for its program in American art history. Recipients receive support to advance and deepen their research; establish professional networks with American art historians; experience different methods of graduate instruction; and encounter firsthand American art collections outside Europe. They also receive a one-month travel stipend to discover American art collections in museums where they can study works on-site and meet with museum professionals, enhancing this pivotal experience.
Please note, this program is no longer active. If you have questions about our grant and fellowship opportunities for individuals, please contact [email protected].
- Choghakate Kazarian, The Courtauld Institute of Art
- Simon Lindner, Humboldt Universität zu Berlin
- Sarah Sudres, Université Paris Nanterre
- Max Böhner, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Visiting Student at University of Southern California
- Francesca Wilmott, The Courtauld Institute of Art, Visiting Student at University of California, Santa Barbara
- Martyna Zielinska, Université Paris-Diderot, Visiting Student at Harvard University
- Yonit Aronowicz, Université Paris-Diderot, Visiting Student at CUNY
- Lucie Grandjean, Université Paris Nanterre, Visiting Student at University of Pennsylvania
- Madeleine Harrison, The Courtauld Institute of Art, Visiting Student at Harvard University
- Laura Vielmetter-Diekmann, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Visiting Student at Harvard University